Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture (part 3)

Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

And BVW was a pioneering course [Randy puts on vest with arrows poking out of the back], and I wont bore you with all the details, but it wasnt easy to do, and I was given this when I stepped down from the ETC and I think its emblematic. If youre going to do anything that pioneering you will get those arrows in the back, and you just have to put up with it. I mean everything that could go wrong did go wrong. But at the end of the day, a whole lot of people had a whole lot of fun. When youve had something for ten years that you hold so precious, its the toughest thing in the world to hand it over. And the only advice I can give you is, find somebody better than you to hand it to. And thats what I did. There was this kid at the VR studios way back when, and you didnt have to spend very long in Jesse Schells orbit to go, the force is strong in this one. And one of my greatest my two greatest accomplishments I think for Carnegie Mellon was that I got Jessica Hodgins and Jesse Schell to come here and join our faculty. And I was thrilled when I could hand this over to Jesse, and to no ones surprise, he has really taken it up to the next notch. And the course is in more than good hands its in better hands. But it was just one course. And then we really took it up a notch. And we created what I would call the dream fulfillment factory. Don Marinelli and I got together and with the universitys blessing and encouragement, we made this thing out of whole cloth that was absolutely insane. Should never have been tried. All the sane universities didnt go near this kind of stuff. Creating a tremendous opportunistic void. So the Entertainment Technology Center was all about artists and technologists working in small teams to make things. It was a two- year professional masters degree. And Don and I were two kindred spirits. Were very different anybody who knows us knows that we are very different people. And we liked to do things in a new way, and the truth of the matter is that we are both a little uncomfortable in academia. I used to say that I am uncomfortable as an academic because I come from a long line of people who actually worked for a living, so. [Nervous laughter] I detect nervous laughter! And I want to stress, Carnegie Mellon is the only place in the world that the ETC could have happened. By far the only place. [Shows slide of Don Marinelli in tye-dyed shirt, shades and an electric guitar, sitting on a desk next to Randy, wearing nerd glasses, button-up shirt, staring at a laptop. Above their heads were the labels Right brain/Left brain] [laughter] OK, this picture was Dons idea, OK? And we like to refer to this picture as Don Marinelli on guitar and Randy Pausch on keyboards. [laughter] But we really did play up the left brain, right brain and it worked out really well that way. [Shows slide of Don looking intense] Don is an intense guy. And Don and I shared an office, and at first it was a small office. We shared an office for six years. You know, those of you who know Don know hes an intense guy. And you know, given my current condition, somebody was asking me this is a terrible joke, but Im going to use it anyway. Because I know Don will forgive me. Somebody said, given your current condition, have you thought about whether youre going to go to heaven or hell? And I said, I dont know, but if I’m going to hell, Im due six years for time served! [laughter] I kid. Sharing an office with Don was really like sharing an office with a tornado. There was just so much energy and you never knew which trailer was next, right? But you know something exciting was going to happen. And there was so much energy, and I do believe in giving credit where credit is due. So in my typically visual way, if Don and I were to split the success for the ETC, he clearly gets the lions share of it. [Shows image of a pie chart divided 70/30 (Don/Randy) ] He did the lions share of the work, ok, he had the lions share of the ideas. It was a great teamwork. I think it was a great yin and a yang, but it was more like YIN and yang. And he deserves that credit and I give it to him because the ETC is a wonderful place. And hes now running it and hes taking it global. Well talk about that in a second.

Describing the ETC is really hard, and I finally found a metaphor. Telling people about the ETC is like describing Cirque du Soleil if theyve never seen it. Sooner or later youre going to make the mistake. Youre going to say, well its like a circus. And then youre dragged into this conversation about oh, how many tigers, how many lions, how many trapeze acts? And that misses the whole point. So when we say were a masters degree, were really not like any masters degree youve ever seen. Heres the curriculum [Shows slide of ETC curriculum, listing Project Course as the only course each semester; audience laughs] The curriculum ended up looking like this. [shows slightly more detailed slide]. All I want to do is visually communicate to you that you do five projects in Building Virtual Worlds, then you do three more. All of your time is spent in small teams making stuff. None of that book learning thing. Don and I had no patience for the book learning thing. Its

a masters degree. They already spent four years doing book learning. By now they should have read all the books.

The keys to success were that Carnegie Mellon gave us the reins. Completely gave us the reins. We had no deans to report to. We reported directly to the provost, which is great because the provost is way too busy to watch you carefully. [laughter] We were given explicit license to break the mold. It was all project based. It was intense, it was fun, and we took field trips! Every spring semester in January, we took all 50 students in the first year class and wed take them out to Pixar, Industrial Light and Magic, and of course when youve got guys like Tommy there acting as host, right, its pretty easy to get entrée to these places. So we did things very, very differently. The kind of projects students would do, we did a lot of what wed call edutainment.

We developed a bunch of things with the Fire Department of New York, a network simulator for training firefighters, using video game-ish type technology to teach people useful things. Thats not bad. Companies did this strange thing. They put in writing, we promise to hire your students. Ive got the EA and Activision ones here. I think there are now, how many, five? Drew knows I bet. [Drew Davison, head of ETC-Pittsburgh, gestures with five fingers]. So there are five written agreements. I dont know of any other school that has this kind of written agreement with any company. And so thats a real statement. And these are multiple year things, so theyre agreeing to hire people for summer internships that we have not admitted yet. Thats a pretty strong statement about the quality of the program. And Don, as I said, hes now, hes crazy. In a wonderful complimentary way. Hes doing these things where Im like, oh my god. Hes not here tonight because hes in Singapore because theres going to be an ETC campus in Singapore. Theres already on in Australia and theres going to be on in Korea. So this is becoming a global phenomenon. So I think this really speaks volumes about all the other universities. Its really true that Carnegie Mellon is the only university that can do this. We just have to do it all over the world now.

One other big success about the ETC is teaching people about feedback [puts up bar chart where students are (anonymous) listed on a scale labeled how easy to work with ] -- oh I hear the nervous laughter from the students. I had forgotten the delayed shock therapy effect of these bar charts. When youre taking Building Virtual Worlds, every two weeks we get peer feedback. We put that all into a big spreadsheet and at the end of the semester, you had three teammates per project, five projects, thats 15 data points, thats statistically valid. And you get a bar chart telling you on a ranking of how easy you are to work with, where you stacked up against your peers. Boy thats hard feedback to ignore. Some still managed. [laughter] But for the most part, people looked at that and went, wow, I’ve got to take it up a notch. I better start thinking about what Im saying to people in these meetings. And that is the best gift an educator can give is to get somebody to become self reflective.

So the ETC was wonderful, but even the ETC and even as Don scales it around the globe, its still very labor intensive, you know. Its not Tommy one-at-a-time. Its not a research group ten at a time. Its 50 or 100 at a time per campus times four campuses. But I wanted something infinitely scalable. Scalable to the point where millions or tens of millions of people could chase their dreams with something. And you know, I guess that kind of a goal really does make me the Mad Hatter. [Puts on a Mad Hatters green top hat]. So Alice is a project that we worked on for a long, long time. Its a novel way to teach computer programming. Kids make movies and games. The head fake again, were back to the head fakes. The best way to teach somebody something is to have them think theyre learning something else. I’ve done it my whole career. And the head fake here is that theyre learning to program but they just think theyre making movies and video games. This thing has already been downloaded well over a million times. There are eight textbooks that have been written about it. Ten percent of U.S. colleges are using it now. And its not the good stuff yet. The good stuff is coming in the next version. I, like Moses, get to see the promised land, but I wont get to set foot in it. And thats OK, because I can see it. And the vision is clear. Millions of kids having fun while learning something hard. Thats pretty cool. I can deal with that as a legacy. The next versions going to come out in 2008. Its going to be teaching the Java language if you want them to know theyre learning Java. Otherwise theyll just think that theyre writing movie scripts. And were getting the characters from the bestselling PC video game in history, The Sims. And this is already working in the lab, so theres no real technological risk. I dont have time to thank and mention everybody in the Alice team, but I just want to say that Dennis Cosgrove is going to be building this, has been building this. He is the designer. This is his baby. And for those of you who are wondering, well, in some number of months who should I be emailing about the Alice project, wheres Wanda Dann? Oh, there you are. Stand up, let them all see you. Everybody say, Hi Wanda.

Audience:

Hi, Wanda.

Randy Pausch:

Send her the email. And I’ll talk a little bit more about Caitlin Kelleher, but shes graduated with her Ph.D., and shes at Washington University, and shes going to be taking this up a notch and going to middle schools with it. So, grand vision and to the extent that you can live on in something, I will live on in Alice. All right, so now the third part of the talk. Lessons learned. Weve talked about my dreams. Weve talked about helping other people enable their dreams. Somewhere along the way theres got to be some aspect of what lets you get to achieve your dreams. First one is the rule of parents, mentors and students. I was blessed to have been born to two incredible people. This is my mother on her 70th birthday. [Shows slide of Randys mom driving a race car on an amusement park race course] [laughter] I am back here. I have just been lapped. [laughter] This is my dad riding a roller coaster on his 80th birthday. [Shows slide of dad] And he points out that hes not only brave, hes talented because he did win that big bear the same day. My dad was so full of life, anything with him was an adventure. [Shows picture of his Dad holding a brown paper bag.] I dont know whats in that bag, but I know its cool. My dad dressed up as Santa Claus, but he also did very, very significant things to help lots of people. This is a dormitory in Thailand that my mom and dad underwrote. And every year about 30 students get to go to school who wouldnt have otherwise. This is something my wife and I have also been involved in heavily. And these are the kind of things that I think everybody ought to be doing. Helping others.

But the best story I have about my dad unfortunately my dad passed away a little over a year ago and when we were going through his things, he had fought in World War II in the Battle of the Bulge, and when we were going through his things, we found out he had been awarded the Bronze Star for Valor. My mom didnt know it. In 50 years of marriage it had just never come up.

My mom. [Shows picture of Randy as a young child, pulling his Moms hair]. Mothers are people who love even when you pull their hair. And I have two great mom stories. When I was here studying to get my Ph.D. and I was taking something called the theory qualifier, which I can definitively say is the second worst thing in my life after chemotherapy. [laughter] And I was complaining to my mother about how hard this test was and how awful it was, and she just leaned over and she patted me on the arm and she said, we know how you feel honey, and remember when your father was your age he was fighting the Germans. [laugher] After I got my Ph.D., my mother took great relish in introducing me as, this is my son, hes a doctor but not the kind that helps people. [laughter] These slides are a little bit dark [meaning hard to see], but when I was in high school I decided to paint my bedroom. [shows slides of bedroom] I always wanted a submarine and an elevator. And the great thing about this [shows slide of quadratic formula painted on wall] [interrupted by laughter] what can I say? And the great thing about this is they let me do it. And they didnt get upset about it. And its still there. If you go to my parents house its still there. And anybody who is out there who is a parent, if your kids want to paint their bedroom, as a favor to me let them do it. Itll be OK. Dont worry about resale value on the house.

Other people who help us besides our parents: our teachers, our mentors, our friends, our colleagues. God, what is there to say about Andy Van Dam? When I was a freshman at Brown, he was on leave. And all I heard about was this Andy Van Dam. He was like a mythical creature. Like a centaur, but like a really pissed off centaur. And everybody was like really sad that he was gone, but kind of more relaxed? And I found out why. Because I started working for Andy. I was a teaching assistant for him as a sophomore. And I was quite an arrogant young man. And I came in to some office hours and of course it was nine oclock at night and Andy was there at office hours, which is your first clue as to what kind of professor he was. And I come bounding in and you know, Im just I’m going to save the world. Therere all these kids waiting for help, da da, da da, da da, da da, da da. And afterwards, Andy literally Dutch-uncled hes Dutch, right? He Dutch-uncled me. And he put his arm around my shoulders and we went for a little walk and he said, Randy, its such a shame that people perceive you as so arrogant. Because its going to limit what youre going to be able to accomplish in life. What a hell of a way to word youre being a jerk. [laughter] Right? He doesnt say youre a jerk. He says people are perceiving you this way and he says the downside is its going to limit what youre going to be able to accomplish.

When I got to know Andy better, the beatings became more direct, but. [laughter] I could tell you Andy stories for a month, but the one I will tell you is that when it came time to start thinking about what to do about graduating from Brown, it had never occurred to me in a million years to go to graduate school. Just out of my imagination. It wasnt the kind of thing people from my family did. We got, say, what do you call them? . jobs. And Andy said, no, dont go do that. Go get a Ph.D. Become a professor. And I said, why? And he said, because youre such a good salesman that any company that gets you is going to use you as a salesman. And you might as well be selling something worthwhile like education. [long pause, looks directly at Andy van Dam] Thanks.

Andy was my first boss, so to speak. I was lucky enough to have a lot of bosses. [shows slide of various bosses] That red circle is way off. Al is over here. [laughter] I dont know what the hell happened there. Hes probably watching this on the webcast going, my god hes targeting and he still cant aim! [laughter] I dont want to say much about the great bosses Ive had except that they were great. And I know a lot of people in the world that have had bad bosses, and I havent had to endure that experience and I’m very grateful to all the people that I ever had to have worked for. They have just been incredible.

But its not just our bosses, we learn from our students. I think the best head fake of all time comes from Caitlin Kelleher. Excuse me, Doctor Caitlin Kelleher, who just finished up here and is starting at Washington University, and she looked at Alice when it was an easier way to learn to program, and she said, yeah, but why is that fun? I was like, cause uh, I’m a compulsive maleI like to make the little toy soldiers move around by my command, and thats fun. Shes like, hmm. And she was the one who said, no, well just approach it all as a storytelling activity. And shes done wonderful work showing that, particularly with middle school girls, if you present it as a storytelling activity, theyre perfectly willing to learn how to write computer software. So all-time best head fake award goes to Caitlin Kellehers dissertation.

President Cohen, when I told him I was going to do this talk, he said, please tell them about having fun, because thats what I remember you for. And I said, I can do that, but its kind of like a fish talking about the importance of water. I mean I dont know how to not have fun. I’m dying and I’m having fun. And I’m going to keep having fun every day I have left. Because theres no other way to play it.

So my next piece of advice is, you just have to decide if youre a Tigger or and Eeyore. [shows slide with an image of Tigger and Eeyore with the phrase Decide if youre Tigger or Eeyore] I think Im clear where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate. [laughter] Never lose the childlike wonder. Its just too important. Its what drives us. Help others. Denny Proffitt knows more about helping other people. Hes forgotten more than I’ll ever know. Hes taught me by example how to run a group, how to care about people. M.K. Haley I have a theory that people who come from large families are better people because theyve just had to learn to get along. M.K. Haley comes from a family with 20 kids. [audience collectively aaahs] Yeah. Unbelievable. And she always says its kind of fun to do the impossible. When I first got to Imagineering, she was one of the people who dressed me down, and she said, I understand youve joined the Aladdin Project. What can you do? And I said, well Im a tenured professor of computer science. And she said, well thats very nice Professor Boy, but thats not what I asked. I said what can you do? [laughter]

And you know I mentioned sort of my working class roots. We keep what is valuable to us, what we cherish. And I’ve kept my [high school] lettermans jacket all these years. [Puts on lettermans jacket] I used to like wearing it in grad school, and one of my friends, Jessica Hodgins would say, why do you wear this lettermans jacket? And I looked around at all the non-athletic guys around me who were much smarter than me. And I said, because I can. [laughter] And so she thought that was a real hoot so one year she made for me this little Raggedy Randy doll. [takes out Raggedy Randy] [laughter] Hes got a little lettermans jacket too. Thats my all-time favorite. Its the perfect gift for the egomaniac in your life. So, Ive met so many wonderful people along the way.

Loyalty is a two way street. There was a young man named Dennis Cosgrove at the University of Virginia, and when he was a young man, lets just say things happened. And I found myself talking to a dean. No, not that dean. And anyway, this dean really had it in for Dennis, and I could never figure out why because Dennis was a fine fellow. But for some reason this Dean really had it in for him. And I ended up basically saying, no, I vouch for Dennis. And the guy says, youre not even tenured yet and youre telling me youre going to vouch for this sophomore or junior or whatever? I think he was a junior at the time. I said, yeah, Im going to vouch for him because I believe in him. And the dean said, and I’m going to remember this when your tenure case comes up. And I said, deal. I went back to talk to Dennis and I said, I would really appreciate you that would be good. But loyalty is a two-way street. That was god knows how many years ago, but thats the same Dennis Cosgrove whos carrying Alice forward. Hes been with me all these years. And if we only had one person to send in a space probe to meet an alien species, Im picking Dennis. [laughter] You cant give a talk at Carnegie Mellon without acknowledging one very special person. And that would be Sharon Burks. I joked with her, I said, well look, if youre retiring, its just not worth living anymore. Sharon is so wonderful its beyond description, and for all of us who have been helped by her, its just indescribable. I love this picture because it puts here together with Syl, and Syl is great because Syl gave the best piece of advice pound-for-pound that I have ever heard. And I think all young ladies should hear this. Syl said, it took me a long time but I’ve finally figured it out. When it comes to men that are romantically interested in you, its really simple. Just ignore everything they say and only pay attention to what they do. Its that simple. Its that easy. And I thought back to my bachelor days and I said, damn. [laughter]


No comments:

Post a Comment