Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture (part 1)

Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

Given at Carnegie Mellon University, September 18, 2007, McConomy Auditorium

Introduction by Indira Nair, Carnegie Mellons Vice Provost for Education:

Hi. Welcome. Its my pleasure to introduce you to the first of our new universitys lectures titled Journeys lectures in which members of our community will share with us reflections and insights on their personal and professional journeys. Todays Journeys lecture as you all know is by Professor Randy Pausch.

To introduce Professor Randy Pausch, our first Journeys speaker, I would like to introduce Randys friend and colleague, Steve Seabolt. Steve has been at Electronic Arts for six years and is the Vice President of Global Brand Development for The Sims label at Electronic Arts. As you all know, The Sims is one of the most, if not the most successful PC games in the world, with sales approaching over $100,000,000. Prior to that, Steve was the Vice President for Strategic Marketing and Education at EA, bridging academia and Electronic Arts. His goal was to work with academics so there was an effective educational pathway for kids with building games as their dreams. It was in that role that Randy and Steve became colleagues and friends. Before Electronic Arts, Steve was the worldwide Ad Director for Time Magazine and CEO of Sunset Publishing, which is a very favorite magazine in the Southwest, and as CEO there, one of the things he started was school tours, because like Randy he shares a passion for inspiring kids of all ages to share their excitement for science and technology.

So to introduce Randy, his friend Steve Seabolt.

Steve? [applause]

Steve Seabolt, Vice President of Worldwide Publishing and Marketing for Electronic Arts (EA):

Thank you very much. I dont mean to sound ungracious by correcting you, but given that our PR

people are probably watching this on webcast, I’d catch heck if I went home and didnt say that it

was 100 million units for The Sims. [laughter] Not that big numbers matter to Electronic Arts.

[laughter]

I dont see any empty seats anywhere, which is a good thing, which means I just won a bet from

Randy as a matter of fact. Depending upon whose version of the story you hear, he either owes me

20 dollars or his new Volkswagen. [laughter] So, Ill take the car.

Its a pleasure to be here, thank you very much. Im going to start by covering Randys academic credentials. Its a little bizarre for me to be standing here at Carnegie Mellon, which is a school I couldnt get into no matter how much I contributed to this institution. [laughter] But, no really, Im not kidding! You all think, oh gosh hes humble. Really, no, Im not humble at all. Very average SAT scores, you know, right in the middle of my high school class of 900. Anyway, Randy. Randy earned it really pisses me off that Randys so smartactually I called him, we decided about, what, four weeks, ago and we heard the news went from bad to horrific. It was on a Wednesday night and I said look we have two choices. We can play this really straight and very emotional , or we can go to dark humor. And for those of you who know Randy well, he was like oh, dark humor! So I called him the next day and I was like, dude you cant die. And hes like, what do you mean? And I said, well, when you die, the average of IQ of Seabolts friends is going to like drop 50 points. [laughter] To which he responded, we need to find you some smarter friends. [laughter] So youre all smart because youre here, so if you want to be my friend, I’ll be over in a corner of the reception room.

Randy earned his undergraduate degree in Computer Science at Brown in 1982. His Ph.D. in CS from Carnegie Mellon in 1988 and taught at the University of Virginia where he was granted tenure a year early. He joined the Carnegie Mellon faculty in 1997 with appointments in the CS, HCI and Design departments. He has authored or co-authored five books and over 60 reviewed journal and conference proceeding articles, none of which I would understand. With Don Marinelli, he founded the Entertainment Technology Center, which quickly became the gold standard organization for training artists and engineers to work together. It is my view and the view of our company, Electronic Arts, that the ETC is the interactive program by which all others in the world are judged.

I met Randy in the Spring of 2004, and when I look back its sort of hard to imagine its only been three years given the depth of our friendship. The ETC already had a very strong relationship with EA and with Randy. And Randy as he always does, for those of you who know him well, wanted to learn more, with his own eyes, about how the games business works, and how games really got made. So he spent a summer in residence at EA, and I was his primary contact point. We were in my view the odd couple. Randy the brilliant, charming, Carnegie educated CS professor. And me who went to the University of Iowa on a wing and a prayer. We spent a lot of time together that semester and for those of you who know Randy well, thats a lot of turkey sandwiches on white bread with mayo. [laughter, clapping] My kids tease me about being white. Theres nobody more white than Randy. [laughter] We spent an enormous amount of time together. We taught each other about each others very interesting, strange cultures to the other. Academic versus the corporate world. And we developed a deep friendship woven together with stories about our kids, our wives, our parents, as well as deep discussions about the paramount nature of integrity in everything you do, family first, religion, our shared joy in connecting people and ideas, and deploying money and influence to do good. And the importance of having a lot of laughs along the way.

Randys dedication to making the world a better place is self evident to anyone who has crossed paths with him. Whether its directly influencing students, creating organizations like the ETC, building tools like Alice or doing what he probably does best, which is bridging cultures. As Ben Gordon, EA’s Chief Creative Officer, says of Randy, even more important than Randys academic, philanthropic, and entrepreneurial accomplishments has been his humanity and the enthusiasm he brings to students and coworkers on a daily basis.

For those of you who know Randy, Randy brings a particular zest for life and humor, even while facing death. To Randy, this is simply another adventure. It is my great honor to introduce Dylan, Logan and Chloes dad, Jais husband, and my very dear friend, Dr. Randy Pausch. [applause]

Randy Pausch:

[responding to a standing ovation] Make me earn it. [laughter]

Its wonderful to be here. What Indira didnt tell you is that this lecture series used to be called the Last Lecture. If you had one last lecture to give before you died, what would it be? I thought, damn, I finally nailed the venue and they renamed it. [laughter]

So, you know, in case theres anybody who wandered in and doesnt know the back story, my dad always taught me that when theres an elephant in the room, introduce them. If you look at my CAT scans, there are approximately 10 tumors in my liver, and the doctors told me 3-6 months of good health left. That was a month ago, so you can do the math. I have some of the best doctors in the world. Microphones not working? Then I’ll just have to talk louder. [Adjusts mic] Is that good? All right. So that is what it is. We cant change it, and we just have to decide how were going to respond to that. We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. If I dont seem as depressed or morose as I should be, sorry to disappoint you. [laughter] And I assure you I am not in denial. Its not like Im not aware of whats going on. My family, my three kids, my wife, we just decamped. We bought a lovely house in Virginia, and were doing that because thats a better place for the family to be, down the road. And the other thing is I am in phenomenally good health right now. I mean its the greatest thing of cognitive dissonance you will ever see is the fact that I am in really good shape. In fact, I am in better shape than most of you. [Randy gets on the ground and starts doing pushups] [Applause] So anybody who wants to cry or pity me can down and do a few of those, and then you may pity me. [laughter]

All right, so what were not talking about today, we are not talking about cancer, because I spent a lot of time talking about that and I’m really not interested. If you have any herbal supplements or remedies, please stay away from me. [laughter] And were not going to talk about things that are even more important than achieving your childhood dreams. Were not going to talk about my wife, were not talking about my kids. Because Im good, but I’m not good enough to talk about that without tearing up. So, were just going to take that off the table. Thats much more important. And were not going to talk about spirituality and religion, although I will tell you that I have achieved a deathbed conversion. [dramatic pause] I just bought a Macintosh. [laughter and clapping] Now I knew I’d get 9% of the audience with that All right, so what is todays talk about then? Its about my childhood dreams and how I have achieved them. Ive been very fortunate that way. How I believe I’ve been able to enable the dreams of others, and to some degree, lessons learned. Im a professor, there should be some lessons learned and how you can use the stuff you hear today to achieve your dreams or enable the dreams of others. And as you get older, you may find that enabling the dreams of others” thing is even more fun.

So what were my childhood dreams? Well, you know, I had a really good childhood. I mean, no kidding around. I was going back through the family archives, and what was really amazing was, I couldnt find any pictures of me as a kid where I wasnt smiling. And that was just a very gratifying thing. There was our dog, right? Aww, thank you. And there I actually have a picture of me dreaming. I did a lot of that. You know, theres a lot of wake ups! I was born in 1960. When you are 8 or 9 years old and you look at the TV set, men are landing on the moon, anythings possible. And thats something we should not lose sight of, is that the inspiration and the permission to dream is huge.

So what were my childhood dreams? You may not agree with this list, but I was there. [laughter] Being in zero gravity, playing in the National Football League, authoring an article in the World Book Encyclopedia I guess you can tell the nerds early. [laughter] Being Captain Kirk, anybody here have that childhood dream? Not at CMU, nooooo. I wanted to become one of the guys who won the big stuffed animals in the amusement park, and I wanted to be an Imagineer with Disney. These are not sorted in any particular order, although I think they do get harder, except for maybe the first one.

OK, so being in zero gravity. Now its important to have specific dreams. I did not dream of being an astronaut, because when I was a little kid, I wore glasses and they told me oh, astronauts cant have glasses. And I was like, mmm, I didnt really want the whole astronaut gig, I just wanted the floating. So, and as a child [laughter], prototype 0.0. [slide shown of Randy as a child lying in floating- formation on a table top] But that didnt work so well, and it turns out that NASA has something called the Vomit Comet that they used to train the astronauts. And this thing does parabolic arcs, and at the top of each arc you get about 25 seconds where youre ballistic and you get about, a rough equivalent of weightlessness for about 25 seconds. And there is a program where college students can submit proposals and if they win the competition, they get to fly. And I thought that was really cool, and we had a team and we put a team together and they won and they got to fly. And I was all excited because I was going to go with them. And then I hit the first brick wall, because they made it very clear that under no circumstances were faculty members allowed to fly with the teams. I know, I was heartbroken. I was like, I worked so hard! And so I read the literature very carefully and it turns out that NASA, its part of their outreach and publicity program, and it turns out that the students were allowed to bring a local media journalist from their home town. [laughter] And, [deep voice] Randy Pausch, web journalist. [regular voice] Its really easy to get a press pass! [laughter] So I called up the guys at NASA and I said, I need to know where to fax some documents. And they said, what documents are you going to fax us? And I said my resignation as the faculty advisor and my application as the journalist. And he said, thats a little transparent, dont you think? And I said, yeah, but our project is virtual reality, and were going to bring down a whole bunch of VR headsets and all the students from all the teams are going to experience it and all those other real journalists are going to get to film it. Jim Foleys [who is nodding in the audience] going oh you bastard, yes. And the guy said, heres the fax number. So, indeed, we kept our end of the bargain, and thats one of the themes that youll hear later on in the talk, is have something to bring to the table, right, because that will make you more welcome. And if youre curious about what zero gravity looks like, hopefully the sound will be working here. [slide shows videotape from Randys zero gravity experience] There I am. [laughter] You do pay the piper at the bottom. [laugher, as the people in the video crash to the floor of the plane on the video] So, childhood dream number one, check.

OK, lets talk about football. My dream was to play in the National Football League. And most of you dont know that I actually no. [laughter] No, I did not make it to the National Football League, but I probably got more from that dream and not accomplishing it than I got from any of the ones that I did accomplish. I had a coach, I signed up when I was nine years old. I was the smallest kid in the league, by far. And I had a coach, Jim Graham, who was six-foot-four, he had played linebacker at Penn State. He was just this hulk of a guy and he was old school. And I mean really old school. Like he thought the forward pass was a trick play. [laughter] And he showed up for practice the first day, and you know, theres big hulking guy, we were all scared to death of him. And he hadnt brought any footballs. How are we going to have practice without any footballs? And one of the other kids said, excuse me coach, but theres no football. And Coach Graham said, right, how many men are on a football field at a time? Eleven on a team, twenty-two. Coach Graham said, all right, and how many people are touching the football at any given time? One of them. And he said, right, so were going to work on what those other twenty-one guys are doing. And thats a really good story because its all about fundamentals. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. Youve got to get the fundamentals down because otherwise the fancy stuff isnt going to work. And the other Jim Graham story I have is there was one practice where he just rode me all practice. Youre doing this wrong, youre doing this wrong, go back and do it again, you owe me, youre doing push-ups after practice. And when it was all over, one of the other assistant coaches came over and said, yeah, Coach Graham rode you pretty hard, didnt he? I said, yeah. He said, thats a good thing. He said, when youre screwing up and nobodys saying anything to you anymore, that means they gave up. And thats a lesson that stuck with me my whole life. Is that when you see yourself doing something badly and nobodys bothering to tell you anymore, thats a very bad place to be. Your critics are your ones telling you they still love you and care.

After Coach Graham, I had another coach, Coach Setliff, and he taught me a lot about the power of enthusiasm. He did this one thing where only for one play at a time he would put people in at like the most horrifically wrong position for them. Like all the short guys would become receivers, right? It was just laughable. But we only went in for one play, right? And boy, the other team just never knew what hit em them. Because when youre only doing it for one play and youre just not where youre supposed to be, and freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose, boy are you going to clean somebodys clock for that one play. And that kind of enthusiasm was great. And to this day, I am most comfortable on a football field. I mean, its just one of those things where, you know, [pulls out a football] if I’m working a hard problem, people will see me wandering the halls with one of these things, and thats just because, you know, when you do something young enough and you train for it, it just becomes a part of you. And I’m very glad that football was a part of my life. And if I didnt get the dream of playing in the NFL, thats OK. I’ve probably got stuff more valuable. Because looking at whats going on in the NFL, Im not sure those guys are doing so great right now.

OK, and so one of the expressions I learned at Electronic Arts, which I love, which pertains to this, is experience is what you get when you didnt get what you wanted. And I think thats absolutely lovely. And the other thing about football is we send our kids out to play football or soccer or swimming or whatever it is, and its the first example of what Im going to call a head fake, or indirect learning. We actually dont want our kids to learn football. I mean, yeah, its really nice that have a wonderful three-point stance and that I know how to do a chop block and all this kind of stuff. But we send our kids out to learn much more important things. Teamwork, sportsmanship, perseverance, etcetera, etcetera. And these kinds of head fake learning are absolutely important. And you should keep your eye out for them because theyre everywhere.

All right. A simple one, being an author in the World Book Encyclopedia. When I was a kid, we had the World Book Encyclopedia on the shelf. For the freshman, this is paper. We used to have these things called books. [laughter] And after I had become somewhat of an authority on virtual reality, but not like a really important one, so I was at the level of people the World Book would badger. They called me up and I wrote an article, and this is Caitlin Kelleher [shows slide of Caitlin wearing virtual reality headset manipulating a 3D world], and theres an article if you go to your local library where they still have copies of the World Book. Look under V for Virtual Reality, and there it is. And all I have to say is that having been selected to be an author in the World Book Encyclopedia, I now believe that Wikipedia is a perfectly fine source for your information because I know what the quality control is for real encyclopedias. They let me in.

All right, next one. [laughter] [shows slide Being like Meeting Captain Kirk] At a certain point you just realize there are some things you are not going to do, so maybe you just want to stand close to the people. And I mean, my god, what a role model for young people. [laughter] [shows slide of Captain Kirk sitting at his control station on the Starship Enterprise] I mean, this is everything you want to be, and what I learned that carried me forward in leadership later is that, you know, he wasnt the smartest guy on the ship. I mean, Spock was pretty smart and McCoy was the doctor and Scotty was the engineer. And you sort of go, and what skill set did he have to get on this damn thing and run it? And, you know, clearly there is this skill set called leadership, and, you know, whether or not you like the series, theres no doubt that there was a lot to be learned about how to lead people by watching this guy in action. And he just had the coolest damn toys! [laughter] [shows slide of Star Trek gadgets] I mean, my god, I just thought it was fascinating as a kid that he had this thing [Takes out Star Trek Communicator] and he could talk to the ship with it. I just thought that was just spectacular, and of course now I own one and its smaller. [takes out cell phone] So thats kind of cool.

So I got to achieve this dream. James T. Kirk, and his alter ego William Shatner, wrote a book, which I think was actually a pretty cool book. It was with Chip Walter who is a Pittsburgh- based author who is quite good, and they wrote a book on basically the science of Star Trek, you know, what has come true. And they went around to the top places around the country and looked at various things and they came here to study our virtual reality setup. And so we build a virtual reality for him, it looks something like that. [shows slide of virtual Star Trek bridge from the 1960s TV show] We put it in, put it to red alert. He was a very good sport. [sarcastically] Its not like he saw that one coming. [laughter] And its really cool to meet your boyhood idol, but its even cooler when he comes to you to see what cool stuff youre doing in your lab. And that was just a great moment.

All right, winning stuffed animals. This may seem mundane to you, but when youre a little kid and you see the big buff guys walking around the amusement park and theyve got all these big stuffed animals, right? And this is my lovely wife, and I have a lot of pictures of stuffed animals Ive won. [laughter] [shows slides of several large stuffed animals] Thats my dad posing with one that I won. I’ve won a lot of these animals. Theres my dad, he did win that one, to his credit. And this was just a big part of my life and my familys life. But you know, I can hear the cynics. In this age of digitally manipulated images, maybe those bears really arent in the pictures with me, or maybe I paid somebody five bucks to take a picture in the theme park next to the bear. And I said, how, in this age of cynicism can I convince people? And I said, I know, I can show them the bears! Bring them out. [several large stuffed animals are brought onto the stage] [laughter and clapping] Just put them back against the wall.

Jai Pausch (Randys wife):

Its hard to hear you. [adjusts Randys microphone]

No comments:

Post a Comment