Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Son's Potential


Dear son, small as you still are,

I can see what you’ll become.

For within you grows a seed,

Of unlimited potential, and then some.


My faith in you is boundless,

You can achieve whatever.

A doctor, a lawyer, a teacher,

The President if you endeavor.


You might be a scientist,

Discover a life saving cure.

You might be a biologist,

Uncovering life forms obscure.


I can see you flying a spacecraft,

Leading an exploration to Neptune,

Or a far away solar system,

With a strange planet and it’s moon.


Maybe you’ll climb large mountains,

Or lead jungle expeditions.

You could be an archeologist,

Unearthing ancient civilizations.


Perhaps you’ll be a policeman,

A brave servant of the public,

A fireman, paramedic or congressman,

An artist, writer, or something athletic.


Maybe an architect designing skylines,

A builder or a famous geologist.

I can see you as a musical genius,

A veterinarian, or meteorologist.


You could be a great salesman,

A family counselor or therapist.

Go into computer programming,

Or become a leading psychiatrist.


Whatever it is, this I undeniably know,

You’ll make a significant difference.

I’ll be proud as you leave a mark,

Of your good works and influence.


For now the world waits patiently,

To the great things you’ll someday do.

Remember your potential holds no limits,

And my son – I have all faith in you.


Wm. Calvin Hughes, Lake Elsinore California

For my son, Austin C. Hughes

On your twelfth birthday, June 30, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment