Search This Blog

Saturday, October 5, 2019

THE GREAT AND ETERNAL COST-BENEFIT EQUATION




There is a great and eternal cost-benefit, risk-reward spiritual equation that can be used to assess the value of an effort or monetary sum from one side of the divine equation, in comparison to the eternal value, payoff or reward result of the other side of the same divine equation. This analysis process can be used in almost all aspects of life – financial decisions, companionship decisions, friendships, the books we read, the entertainment we choose, the movies we go to, the music we listen to, the car we drive, our vocation, etc. Every decision we make involves some sort of risk-reward analysis.

In the business world this process is more commonly referred to as a cost-benefit analysis (CBA). But, just as important, maybe more so, as the worldly application of the CBA, there is a spiritual and eternal CBA that is worthy of serious consideration. Because of the eternal consequences regarding the ultimate destiny of our souls, understanding the spiritual results of the costs or choices we make and the benefits or lack thereof, can have eternally significant merit to each us of individually, and to those around us.

Those with spiritual maturity, perceive the spiritual aspects of CBA with a “small sacrifice-big reward” perspective. In the insurance world when promoting the benefits of being insured adequately vs. the premium costs the client pays, an agent might commonly say, “You (the client) write the small checks, and we (the company) will write the large ones.” It’s this concept of paying a small cost for a big benefit; a small sacrifice for a big reward. A worldly (though flawed) application of the CBA equation would be the lottery – you pay a minimal amount for the chance at millions. The flaw is that it is truly a false hope for well over 99% of the participants. True, the risk is minimal, but the possibility of the reward is essentially zero. One study showed that the chances of winning the mega-lottery are between 1 and 250 million to 1 in 300 million. Sadly many fall for it even though the lottery has a about the worst CBA possible – all cost, no benefit.

So, consider the following divine equations regarding the spiritual cost-benefit analysis’ that apply to each of God’s children. The left side is our side, the price we’re willing to pay in the spiritual CBA. We pay that price in time, talent, service, money, devotion, sacrifice, commitment, the choices we make, etc. The right side is the Lord’s side and the resulting benefit, what we get from Him in return for the price we’re willing to pay 

·         If you repent and continue to improve, I’ll pay for all of your sins (Acts 3:19).

·         If you follow me through the years of your life, I’ll lead you and reward you eternally (Ps. 32:8).

·         If you will tithe, I’ll open the windows of heaven and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it and I will rebuke the devourer for your sake (Mal. 3:10-11).

·         If you share my gospel and my love with others, I’ll give you great joy in this life and in the life to come (D&C 18:15-16).

·         If you will honor your parents, I’ll bless you to live long upon the land which I shall give you (Ex. 20:12).

·         If you will obey the Lord’s law of health, I will bless you with health and strength and wisdom, and the destroying angel shall pass you by (D&C 89:18-21).

·         If you are true to your eternal covenants, I’ll send my Spirit to always be with you (D&C 20:77-79).

·         If you are faithful to receive and magnify these two priesthoods, I will sanctify your spirit, renew your body, give you all the Father has  and you will become the elect of God (D&C 84:33-39).

·         If you will keep the Sabbath Day holy, I’ll make it a delight for you, increase your faith and sanctify you (Ex. 20:8, Isa. 58:13).

·         If you will develop faith, I’ll perform miracles for you (Eth. 12:12, Matt. 21:22).

·         If you will trust me with all of your heart and take a leap of faith, I’ll light the way and walk by your side (Ps. 115:9).

·         If you will pray continually and sincerely, I’ll hear and answer your prayers (1 Kgs 13:6, Matt. 6:5-6).

·           If you will treat others with love and respect and patience, I will love you and respect you and have patience with you (Matt. 7:12, Jn. 13:34).

·         If ye will remember me, I will remember you and never forsake you (Heb. 13:5).

·           If you will create a little more heaven on earth, I’ll invite you into heaven and give you power to create worlds without end (D&C 84:33-39).

·         If you will choose righteousness more consistently, I’ll secure your mansion in my kingdom above (Jn. 14:2).

·         If you will seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, I promise you all things will be yours (Matt. 6:19-21).

·            If you will prepare a way for me and a place for me in your heart, I’ll come for you and will prepare a place for you in my Father’s kingdom (Jn. 10:3).

·         If you will love me and do your part, I’ll do mine, and more, so much more – for as it is written, ‘eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him’ (1 Cor. 2:9).

This is only a sampling of the great and eternal blessings that are ours both now and in the eternities. Is the cost worth it? Is the price too much? Are we willing to risk a small portion, a small sacrifice now for the promise of a much grander and more glorious future reward? Is it worth it? Will God keep His promises? God holds himself accountable to law even as He expects us to do. He has set us the example in obedience to law. He has settled any questions regarding His ability and intention to keep His promises when He said, “I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise” (D&C 82:10).

 
Wm. Calvin Hughes | Lake Elsinore, CA | June 23, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment