Search This Blog

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Bio: Wm. Calvin Hughes


Who am I?

Well, I write poetry, I sing in the shower, I sell insurance, and I've been going to Church for over a half a century. And yes, I’m a Mormon.

My name is Calvin, I was named after one of my dad's High School teachers. I'm the oldest of seven. I am a college graduate holding two bachelor degrees in business. I’m happily married, a father of six, and grandfather of six. I was lucky enough to marry my high school sweetheart. 

As I said, I've been going to my Church for more than half a century. With my whole heart I believe in the redemptive and saving powers that are only available and exclusively accessible through God's Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ. I grew up a member of and am actively involved in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I love the Savior. 

My heart is open to learn truth from wherever it may come. I have found that no one, no particular belief system, or no particular faith holds the corner on the market of truth. Some people or groups may have more or less than others, but I sincerely believe that we can learn truth from just about everyone that is sincere, has an open heart, and has committed their life to the Savior. 

The following is an expression of my personal conviction about the relationship between Jesus Christ and His Church:  "Everything about the Church, everything we do in the Church, every plan, every activity, every hymn, every program, every principle, every instruction, every commandment, every meeting, every calling, and every event is based in the singular purpose of bringing people to the Savior Jesus Christ, expanding our love for, and deepening our relationship with Him." I believe that with all of my heart. And I believe that most of the members of my Church feel the same way.

Why I'm a Mormon? I have a personal testimony of the Savior, Jesus Christ and have dedicated my life to Him and promoting His work. I know that He lives. That He suffered for my sins in the Garden of Gethsemane and that He died for me. That He paid the price for my sins that I could never pay for myself. That He, of His own free will Atoned for me and opened the door that I might live again and be with Him again someday. 

I have felt His presence in my life and heard His voice. He has comforted me, healed me, answered my prayers, lifted me up, and blessed my life in immeasurable ways. He is the reason for being, for my every breath. I have dedicated my life to Him. My marriage and my family are dedicated to Him.   

Several years ago, as a young man I dedicated two years, twenty-four hours-a-day to His service and serving His children. It was one of the greatest and most rewarding and spiritual experiences of my life. Since then I have tried to continue that dedication to Him as much as possible by continuing to serve His children. I have consecrated my life and covenanted to give Him all that I have, and all that I will ever have; all that I am, and all that I'll ever hope to be. I am committed to living my life so that anyone I ever meet, should without question understand unequivocally my personal dedication to Him, and that He is the central focus of my being.  

I love the idea that The Church of Jesus Christ is not a break-off or reformation from any other organized religion. As I understand it, there are somewhere around 25,000 to 30,000 different Christian faiths in the United States alone. The members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints consider our Church as being restored from the original Church of Jesus Christ, with living prophets and apostles. An actual restoration of the original Christian Church's organizational structure and doctrinal beliefs. I'm a Mormon because of the happiness and peace that we enjoy as members in the Church, and the personal relationship I have with my Savior.

I know that if I have any chance at salvation it will only come through complete reliance and trust in my Lord and Savior. Some may think that I belong to a "cult". Regardless of what they may say or believe, I've found a wealth of truth and comforting peace, a deep and abiding love, and an undeniable relationship with my Savior in an incredibly amazing Church. 

In my family we're faithful in saying our personal and family prayers, studying the scriptures, in attending Sabbath Day services, and in our tithes and offerings. We serve our family, our neighbors, and in the Church because He served others all the days of His life, and we want to be like Him. We're certainly not perfect - not by any means, but we try to keep the commandments and live lives of righteousness. Even so, we fully rely on the merits of the Savior's infinite and eternal Atoning sacrifice. His Atonement is our only hope of salvation and a reconciliation with Him and our Father in Heaven, someday in His glorious Kingdom of Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment