Search This Blog

Saturday, February 1, 2014

What Will You Find?


This poem "What Will You Find?" (below) I wrote seven and a half years ago. It has helped me look at the world and my personal trials and challenges with a much better and more positive perspective. There are three things, tools really, that I hold dearly, that relate to having a good perspective on life. Hope you like the poem and find these tools helpful as well.

TOOL #1 – I've found that Gandhi's wise words hold precious and significant truth regarding my outlook on life and my view of the world. I have even them permanently affixed to my bathroom mirror so I can see them and be reminded of them every day. He said, “Be the change you want to see in the world."

So, to me that means that I have the ultimate responsibility for how I want the world to be. There’s no one to blame for anything I don't like but myself and my perspective on the matter. Sometimes I have to look very, very hard to find the silver lining, the benevolent purpose, and the good part. But I would say that for the majority of the time, there's some good to be found every timein every situation. It takes hard work and perseverance and some time to find it, and some persistent digging to eventually uncover it, however, the payoff is well worth every effort! Amazingly, it makes life much less stressful, much more peaceful, and even brings greater measures of happiness and joy! 

TOOL #2 – Another favorite quote of mine plays into this idea of maintaining a positive outlook on life. Anne Frank said, "Isn't it wonderful that no one need wait a single moment to make the world a better place to live." Now, my responsibilities for my own attitudes and perspectives are enlarged from just me to include those around me. Family and friends, neighbors and clients and even brief acquaintances are a natural extension of my desire to have more happiness and peace in my own life.

News Flash! I can have a positive and meaningful influence on others' lives! Even if it’s just a momentary, one-time encounter. I might even have the opportunity to inspire someone, or (think about this) even alter a friend’s eternal destiny for the good! In fact, I feel a genuine responsibility, a stewardship if you will, to help others experience increased happiness – to find some of that silver lining, some of the benevolent purpose, and a bigger slice of the good life – yes, to see the world as a better place to live! I am so grateful that the Lord’s Spirit can be intimately involved in guiding me with inspiration for conversations through my writings, my words and my thoughts. I find it comforting to realize that this commitment to be a source of positive influence with those around me has made the effort easier and more natural over the years. 

TOOL #3 – The third thing has been alluded to in the first two tools. It has infinitely impacted my life. In every frustrating or challenging situation, before jumping to conclusions, it directs me to take a step back and ask myself in all soberness this question: "What is the benevolent purpose?" I have found that almost without exception, anything my wife says or does has a loving and benevolent purpose! She's always looking out for the betterment of everyone else. Never a selfish motive or glint of malevolent intention in her purpose. It’s an amazing example of how I want to become.

I believe that most people are generally good and I try to give others the benefit of the doubt in every situation. Usually there is a benevolent purpose. I’ve found that’s the case more often than not.

Here’s an example to drive home the point. It’s the Bible account of Noah. The whole of the human population was destroyed, almost. The only human survivors were the passengers on the ark! The population of the world changed in the span of a few days from millions to eight! These eight were Noah and his wife, their three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth, and their three wives. Everyone knows the rest of the story, it’s an unprecedented event in world history. It seems like a very brutal and cruel thing that God did. Like on a whim, He wiped out the entire human race because He was angry at mankind’s sinful behavior! But, have you ever asked yourself the question, “What was God’s benevolent purpose?” How could what God did be loving or benevolent? Well, we know that God is Love! And that the greatest gift is Charity and that if we don’t have it, we’re nothing! So, what gives?

The world was heading in the wrong direction. In fact, it was getting worse with no hope for a turn-around anytime soon. Prophets were not just ignored, they were stoned to death. The future prospects for the children of God were dismal – no chance for lives of righteousness or the accompanying blessings. Because of their wickedness, God couldn’t bless His children! Starting over allowed God’s children to have a chance at righteousness. and experience free agency, and again be in a position to receive His blessings. Benevolent purpose! I’ll say! And for those that drowned, their shortened lives prevented them from heaping more sin upon their souls. Benevolent purpose! Yes Sir! They would be given a chance to repent and hear and accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ in the Spirit World (1 Pet. 3:19-20, 4:6). Benevolent purpose! No Doubt! I love this tool! It has blessed my life in more ways than I could measure.

This I know: “being the change you want to see in the world,” and making sure that you use your influence with those around you to not “wait a single moment to make the world a better place to live,” and asking yourself when concerned about others’ motives “what is their benevolent purpose?” are important tools for a successful and content and productive life. Using these tools will help others in miraculous and wonderful ways! And sweet and tender mercies will come to us – there will be greater portions of increased peace in our families; we will experience a greater abundance of lasting happiness; and the heavens will endow us with majestic and genuine joy! God will shower us with His most favored blessings. This I know.

I’d be happy to hear your thoughts.

Wm. Calvin Hughes
February 1, 2014

Lake Elsinore California
_____________________________________


WHAT WILL YOU FIND? 

There was a man, new to town, 
Saw buildings run down, everywhere rubbish.
He found folks unfriendly and selfish, unwilling to help, 
Everyone was unkind and intolerant and clannish.

Wherever he looked, wherever he went,
His access denied, he was rejected,  
Opportunity just wouldn't knock,
In fact, at most every door he felt disconnected. 

He gave it a chance, gave it his best, 
And decided to move on to greener pasture;
He was sure that it doesn’t matter what you want – 
And that you never find what you’re looking for.

Another day, another man, also new to town,
Saw structures of historical value, a place of potential. 
He found warm-hearted friends, generous, willing to help,
Everyone kind, open-minded and non-preferential. 

Wherever he looked, wherever he went, 
Access was granted, he saw charity extended,
He found opportunity knocking, 
In fact, at most every door he felt splendid.

He gave it a chance, gave it his best,
And decided wherever he was, green was the pasture; 
He was sure you get what you want –
And usually, you find what you’re looking for.  

Some people from the town observed these two, 
And were curious about the contradiction –
Same town, same buildings, same people. 
Why such a difference in their reaction?

A wise man, a forefather there, offered the answer:
“It isn't the town, buildings or people, be sure –
It’s just that sometimes you get what you want, 
And you find exactly what you’re looking for.”
_________________________________________________
  
Wm. Calvin Hughes
Lake Elsinore, California 
July 23, 2006 

No comments:

Post a Comment