Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Power of Words


I am creative by nature. I love woodworking - building furniture like double and even triple bunk beds as well as smaller projects, like my famous tape dispenser (holds six different kinds of tape as well as a bottle of Elmer's glue. 
I also have a soft spot in my heart for mechanics - tinkering on the cars. I change my own oil, change the rotors and brakes, rebuilt some carburetors, repair flat tires an have even attempted a couple of engine overhauls. Even attempted some pin-stripping, some auto body work and some painting.

Having said all that, probably my most favorite creative work has to do with words and creative writing and turning it into art. Usually it has something to do with family or something spiritual. I love words! To articulate my love of words, I write articles, poems and attempts at profound quotes. Words have power! In my mind, I fully subscribe to the philosophy that, "The pen (written word) is mightier than the sword!" (Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1839).


Here is something I wrote in April 2011, trying to capture my feelings about and titled: 


The Power of Words

Words can create peace, or war. 

Words can inspire love, or hate. 

Words can be the difference between building, or destroying. 

Words can heal, or wound. 

Words can cause life, or death. 

Words can define friendship, or enmity. 

Words can promote growth, or depression. 

Words can lift the soul up, or push it down. 

Words can signify our strengths, or our weaknesses. 

Words can be tools of godliness, or tools of all that's not. 

Words can affect unity, or division. 

Words can expressly motivate, or deridingly discourage. 

Words can generate ecstatic joy, or miserable fear. 

Choosing the right words, at the right time, for the right reasons, 

is part of our inherent agency and a responsibility that all bear. 

Using the right words can make all the difference, 

and change the world into a significantly better place to live. 

If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, 
and able also to bridle the whole body ~ James 3:2
I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue:
I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me ~ Psalms 39:1
Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles ~ Proverbs 21:23

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, 
and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.  
All things were made by him; and without him was not 
any thing made that was made ~ John 1:1-3

Wm. Calvin Hughes 
Lake Elsinore, CA - April 20, 2011
(Revised February 22, 2014 - Happy Birthday Sadie Jane!)


No comments:

Post a Comment