Search This Blog

Monday, July 2, 2012

Our Heavenly Mother


One of my favorite phrases in The Proclamation on the Family is: “Each (of us) is a beloved spirit son or daughter of Heavenly Parents, and, as such has a divine nature and destiny” (emphasis added). I love the words ‘Heavenly Parents’. We don’t speak about that too much. It signifies family. Family is such a comforting term. The idea of Heavenly Parents is a truth that is mostly hidden from the world and omitted from most other belief systems. What a blessing it is to know that our origins include both a Father and a Mother – not only on earth, but also in heaven. Somehow our confidence swells within us as we reflect upon our glorious Mother in Heaven, teaching and preparing us for mortality, rooting for and encouraging us, helping us visualize the possibility and reality of our ultimate potential to become more like Her and our Father in Heaven.

As a young boy in elementary school I remember studying the U.S. Presidents. My favorite was Abraham Lincoln. One of the assignments was to create a profile silhouette of our favorite President‘s head – cut out black construction paper of the silhouette and glue it to a manila background. In my little mind I couldn't understand the ‘profile of the head’ part of the assignment, so after cutting it out I took some white crayon and drew two eyes and a mouth on it as if President Lincoln’s silhouette were looking straight ahead. Several of my classmates and others noticed the error and got quite a laugh out of it. I was hurt and humiliated for not being as smart as everyone else. I felt reluctant to show it to my parents knowing it highlighted my lack of intelligence. Something amazing happened when my mother first looked at it. It was forty some odd years ago and I can still hear her words. With love and sincerity she said, “Son, I can tell you are going to be an incredible artist.” It wasn't only her acceptance, it was her ability to help me see a glimpse of what my future could hold; and in that future, I had something of value to offer the world. When I think about that moment from long ago, I can easily relate to our Heavenly Mother with the same kind of gentle, loving, encouraging wisdom, helping us see a hint of our eternal potential, and feel Her unwavering confidence in our ability to achieve it.

As a young teenager my best friend Darren died in a tragic accident while water-skiing at Pineview reservoir. Being my first experience with death I was devastated. My family had moved a lot – every year. Developing meaningful friendships through those years was a challenge. Darren was one of my first 'real' friends. My mom understood the gravity of the loss of my friend for me, as well as the unique and potentially life-impacting teaching moment. At the right time, she gently consoled me and took the opportunity to teach me about the Plan of Salvation in simple terms, in ways that were new to me, assuring me that Darren still lived and that our friendship would continue on at some point in the future. She told me that Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother would take really good care of him until we could be together again. In hindsight, I’m confident the Holy Ghost perfectly partnered with my mom during that tender discussion. Somehow my pain and loss were reduced and the remaining void was filled with comfort and peace and confidence from a heavenly source. In my mind’s eye I can envision our Heavenly Mother offering tender and patient compassion, helping us make sense of what may seem senseless and unfair, giving us confidence that God is in control and things will work out if we trust Him and have faith in Him. 

Newly married and trying to make a difference in my first real job, I received my first raise – a very minimal sum. Although I was dreadfully inexperienced and naive, I felt like the company had severely overlooked my priceless twenty-two year old wisdom and the associated invaluable contribution. The raise amounted to only a few cents more in my hourly wage. In my humble opinion, my contribution had not been fully considered as I felt it was most certainly many, many times more worthwhile. Feeling unappreciated and down about the situation, I told my mom in a phone conversation about the minuscule raise. Her response is still firmly emblazed in my memory. She said, “Son, I’m proud of you; it’s evident that someday you’ll be the President of that company.” My spirit soared in ways that I still feel when I think about it, and in ways I can’t adequately find the right words for. The pendulum had swung from discouragement and frustration, to encouragement and potential. I recommitted myself, wanting to work harder, to be even more dedicated, and to increase my contribution. I didn’t become President, but I did become a Senior Vice President, a Director a few years later. My mom could see something that I couldn't, and she saw it and expressed it at a critical moment, in a very sensitive and tender way. Can’t you just see those same delicate, kindhearted words of confidence and sensitivity that promote inspired feelings, and wise counsel coming from our Mother in Heaven?

There are only a few women mentioned in the scriptures, but they can be such wonderful examples of the qualities and benevolence that find their original source from our loving Heavenly Mother. Sisters, whether or not you have children, you still have invaluable mothering attributes that bless our Heavenly Parent’s children. Thank you for all you do. You help us grasp a peek of our infinite potential. You comfort us when the events of life are unfair and hard to understand. You offer invaluable encouragement to move us forward toward greater accomplishment and increased contribution. You give us a sense of worth that only you can do. Those are some of the things that our Heavenly Mother does. You are wonderful and we love you! Our Heavenly Parents love you! I promise you that you will receive infinite and eternal blessings for your labors in helping our Heavenly Parents’ children recognize their divine nature and visualize the potential of their eternal destiny. 

Wm. Calvin Hughes
Mother's Day 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment